Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bonne arrivé and Bonsoir

"Bonne arrivée" is a typical expression here. You can translate it to "good arrival". This expression does not exist in France and I've never heard it before coming here. On my first day in Niger, while getting presented to everyone at work, many wished me "Bonne arrivée". I saw this as another way to say "Bienvenue", welcome. But then the people said the same thing the day after, and the day after, and the day after.. and also many times during the same day from the same person when I arrived either at home or at work (usually by the guards). I found this weird. People in Sweden or in France doesn't say "welcome" everytime you come to work or at home. I soon understood though that is doesn't have the same meaning as "welcome". It's just a nice way to greet you.

I was also a little confused when people wished me "Bonsoir", "Good evening" at 13h, with the sun almost being at its highest. Here, "Le soir", "the evening" is the afternoon. If they want to say "evening", they say "nuit", "night". So if someone says they'll come in the evening, don't be surprised when they arrive in the afternoon...

Two other words that does not have the same meaning in French French and Nigerien French is "camel" and "last name". If someone talks about a "chameau", "camel", they actually mean dromedary. I've never seen a camel in Niger, but plenty of dromedarys. And if someone asks you your "nom", "last name", they mean your first name. This also led to confusion in the beginning; I said my last name when people asked me my name. I soon learned though.

No comments:

Post a Comment